Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Mommy Baby List of Must Haves at 2.5 Months!

Things...although most are not a necessity when raising a child they sure do help! If I had a dollar for everytime someone has said "We didn't have those things when raising our kids" I would be rich already! So I had this idea to complete a list of items I have found very useful and/or fun that Jack and I would not be able to live without. For all of you new moms out there, I understand how hard it is to know exactly what you need/want when your new babe is on it's way. OR for those of you looking to buy a baby gift for someone here are some ideas. I hope this helps! Keep in mind this is only up to 2 1/2 months of age.

My List:

Bouncy Chair - I used this beginning the first day we came home and could not have made it through the first few weeks without it. A must have!

Swing - I did not start using the swing until Jack was ~ 1month. I have not stopped using it since. This is a necessity to get baby to sleep in the afternoon and get a few things done around the house when needed.

Infant Bath tub - Helps save your back during the first few months! I put it on the kitchen table.
Inflatable Duck Safety tub - This is great when your little one out grows the infant tub! Set it inside your real tub and baby can be more comfy in the bath tub. We love it. It is kind of large to store though. Monitors - I actually did not use this until Jack moved out of his bassinet and into his crib but now that I have started using them I love them. Let's you get outside for a few minutes during a nap without worry. Make sure you purchase a dual monitor set so you can leave one in your bedroom and the other in the kitchen or family room (much more convenient when you don't have to move them around the house all of the time). Also make sure you purchase one that plugs into the wall (so you are not using batts all the time-expensive) AND takes batts for when you want to go outside.

Mirror for Car - This hangs on the backseat infront of the rear facing carseat. This is the best gift you could give a new mom. I could not live without it! I actually just bought this exact product for a girlfriend a few weeks ago.
Dr. Browns Formula Mixer - Love this! I can make a batch of bottles and then store formula in this already prepared in the fridge until I am ready to make the next batch.

Playtex Bottles and Liners - So much easier then worrying about scrubing and cleaning regular bottles. I love these! The drop ins are more expensive but worth it the first few months. The bags are just as handy once you form and get used to your bottle making process.

Car Seat Cover - We bought the JJ Cole brand and used it a lot at first even though we had a late spring baby. It is nice to have so you don't have to worry about a baby blanket falling off the seat when you are carrying the seat to and from the car. Since the weather has turned to 30 degrees we have packed this item away for the next babe.

PAMPERS Diapers - I won't buy any other brand.

Portable High Chair - This will sit on one of your kitchen chairs so it takes up less space then a regular high chair. We have a small house so space saving really counts!

UV Bug Net - This is great for a summer baby. Allows you to get outside and not worry about burns or bugs.

Other items that you have probably already thought of: LOTS of recieving blankets, LOTS of baby face cloths, 'What to Expect the First Year' Book, Crib, Change Station (up and down stairs), Hooded Towels, Lots of Bibs, Dove Baby Wash, Vaseline, Change Pad and Change Pad Cover.

Jogging Stroller - I started out with a Safety 1st travel system which was helpful during the first month so I did not have to take Jack out of his seat to put him in his stroller but then I really started wishing I had a jogger stroller. Note you can always use a cart to put your car seat in when shopping so the travel system really is a luxery and really isn't needed. Below is the jogger I chose.
Jack's List:

Car Seat Toys - Although these are not needed for the first month they have become a very important part of our car trips now. Jack loves them.

Baby Gym - Jack has recently (~ 2 months) started loving his baby gym. This is where he has his play time. He loves the toys that hang over his head and has already started reaching for them. I am currently taking this every where we go as he loves it so much and it keeps him so content.

Mobile - Keeps him entertained when he wakes in the middle of the night.

Soother - Could NEVER live without! If you have a baby who loves to suck you know exactly what I mean.

Soft Blanky - Jack cuddles his blankey when eating and being rocked....also in his swing. It soothes him and helps him get to sleep.

Useless:

Crib set - Oddly enough this was one of the things I was most excited to buy. A huge expense for something that doesn't do much good. The comforter just hangs over the end of the crib. My advice would be to match a crib skirt and crib sheet and purchase seperately...will certainly save a lot of money.

Bumbo - These are expensive and really not a must have so far. I have used mine a few times when hanging clothes on the line. They are convenient but certainly not a must have. My advice would be to buy one second hand if you really think you would like one.

Car Bottle Warmer - This does not work with the Playtex Drop Ins. Waste of time and money. Takes 45 mins to heat a Playtex bottle. My advice...carry a large cup in the car. Stop at the nearest gas station and fill with hot water to heat. This will do the trick a lot faster than the warmer - believe it or not.

Diaper Gene - This is not really useless it is just a 'nice to have' item. They don't hold a lot so you have to empty them often. Really not a necessity. My advice - Spend your money on something else :)